Verulam is a town 27 kilometres north of Durban in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa and now part of the eThekwini Metropolitan area.
In 1850 a party of 400 Methodists settled here and formed the town. The town was then named after the Earl of Verulam, patron of the Brits who settled here.
Verulam is inhabited mainly by people of Indian descent. The population is over 63,000. There are several primary and secondary schools catering for all races and all areas of the town. The town contains densely populated residential and industrial areas, which include a multitude of shopping centres, mosques, temples & churches. At the outskirts are large farming areas, several built-up townships, and rural townships. There has been slow but steady progress in modernising the town by providing adequate infrastructure to the rural areas.